Monday, August 18, 2008

Philippians 2:3-4

Courtney and I read this tonight and had a good discussion on verses 3 and 4. In verse 3 Paul says "do nothing out of selfish ambition" and then in verse 4 he seems to acknowledge that we look after our own interests at least some of the time. He doesn't say this is wrong but just says that you should not look at your own interests exclusively.

To me these two verses seem to contradict each other. If you're not doing anything out of selfish ambition, then wouldn't another way to say that be that you're not doing anything based on your own self interests?

So far, I seem to have some understanding of this by recognizing that in verse 3 Paul is talking about actually doing something and how you make the decision on what to do. In verse 4 he's talking about what you're observing or watching or what you consider as important. Perhaps they don't contradict as he's talking about two different topics? Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated.

For me, these two verses then leave me with these questions about my life:
1) How am I making decisions on what is important to do in my life?
2) As I go throughout my day, what do I observe or place top priority on checking in on?

No comments: